Thursday, April 18, 2013

What Will Be the Impact of 3D Printing in Education?


I'm not sure we know yet.  I'm waiting to see if it is merely a fad, or the next major disruptive technology.  Right now, it's fun to print sharks and whistles, but I'm looking forward to learning ways to integrate the machine into meaningful curriculum.  My summer work will involve 3D imaging and printing at a research lab, and I look forward to bringing back what I learn to the classroom.

According to an April 10, 2013 EdTech Magazine article
It’s still largely unclear how long it will take for 3D printing to achieve widespread adoption in K–12 schools. The most recent Horizon report for K–12 education, a collaboration between EDUCAUSE and the New Media Consortium, said the technology isn’t likely to be mainstream for at least another four years. (emphasis mine)
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment